Thursday 3 March 2016

Collaged Box For Paper Dolls, and Weathered Wood Textures

Happy Autumn! It's one of my favourite times of the year - the ocean temperature lags by about three months, and the weather is mild, so swimming is glorious. Happy Spring too, for those opposite us :)

Recently my daughter started gymnastics seriously, with two afternoon sessions and two morning sessions, plus my son plays basketball and does gymnastics too. I needed a project that's easy to work on in the car. 

When I was young I used to cut up old dress pattern catalogues my Mum was finished with, choosing some models to be the dolls, and others to be sacrificed as clothes with tabs at the shoulders and sides. I've been collecting paper dolls on my Pinterest site hoping to interest my daughter - but no way!

Oh well, I'm still just a big kid! I printed out some paper dolls to have a go at assembling and dressing. 

The old chocolate box I carried them in was unattractive, so decided to alter it...



paper dolls


In Photoshop Elements I've been adding the heads of my favourite Edwardian and Belle Epoch actresses onto paper dolls by E.K. Duncan. One of them didn't work as she was facing sideways, so she now has a place on the box lid.

Layers of scrapbooking paper were glued on first, then some lace scraps, buttons and scrapbooking paper were ladded, along with the gorgeous image of Cléo de Mérode, a French dancer from the Belle Époque. I cut a paper frame for Cléo, and glued on a fabric rose embellishment cut from an old op shop blouse. I found a lace doiley to add lace to the sides of the box - a perfect fit. I just need to add some velvet ribbon when I find the right shade of olive green....


Collaged box from http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/collaged-box-for-paper-dolls-and.html

Now for some natural and man-made neutral beauty...

Around 7am after dropping off children to early morning gymnastics, I wandered along the edge of Batemans Bay. It was foggy as the sun rose...


Collaged box from http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/collaged-box-for-paper-dolls-and.html


The texture of these weathered boards caught my eye...



Collaged box from http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/collaged-box-for-paper-dolls-and.html



Collaged box from http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/collaged-box-for-paper-dolls-and.html


I couldn't resist a play with the images in Photoshop Elements when I returned home...


Collaged box from http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/collaged-box-for-paper-dolls-and.html


Collaged box from http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/collaged-box-for-paper-dolls-and.html

After dropping the children to school, I stopped at Broulee to have a walk on the beach...

Broulee Beach from http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/collaged-box-for-paper-dolls-and.html

 And a swim on the next beach, in water so pristine clear you can see your toenails at the bottom without goggles...


Broulee Beach from http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/collaged-box-for-paper-dolls-and.html

I'm linking up to Wen's blog Apple Apricot for Simply Neutrals #18. There you'll see links to some gorgeous neutral beauty.

Happy Autumn or Spring! Enjoy!





13 comments:

  1. Jesse, I love that you still have a Paper Doll collection. That box is just right to hold them.
    Your jetty photos are lovely.Makes me want to rush down to Semaphore and take some photos.I am a "texture girl" and would just love to see that weathered grey wood in person, and feel that rough, salt blasted wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I hope you do get to Semaphore soon to take some texture photos.
      Hugs,
      Jesse

      Delete
  2. I invite you to http://pippavier.blogspot.de/,
    if you like, herzlich Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful nature photos, dear Jesse, a wonderful beach for you to enjoy.
    And your paper doll box is so lovely and pretty. I too love the Belle Epoch and it is a wonderful idea to add the faces from that times actors, to your paper doll body , it looks beautiful on the lid, too, and very interesting.
    Here it is snowing now, so not much spring yet :-( Hugs from Dorthe -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dorthe, you are having a Wintery Spring while we are having a Summery Autumn...
      Have a lovely creative week.
      Hugs,
      Jesse

      Delete
  4. I really love this post Jesse!! Thanks much for taking time to share with us : ) I used to collect paper dolls too as a child. But unfortunately did not keep them : ( Love your beautifully covered box! Gorgeous paper, laces & roses; as well as the treasures inside.
    And your photo's are gorgeous! You are a pro with that Photo Shop my friend! What a beautiful day~ Thanks again for sharing. Karen O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, Nice to see you here :) I wish I'd kept all my paper dolls from childhood, too, but we moved house so many times all the excess was always thrown out. I used to buy books of paper dolls for my daughter (hoping we'd play together with them!), but I had to give them away to her cousins, who appreciated them. I even made a paper doll from a photo of my daughter, with her real clothes to change, but she thought it was weird! LOL, she is practical and prefers to go to the beach!
      Hugs,
      Jesse

      Delete
  5. Those paper dolls look great Jesse! Do you have any finished ones? Love the box you store them in and the way you have decorated it too.
    That Bateman's Bay jetty looks gorgeous. No one around much at that time of morning. Lucky you taking the time for a swim! Enjoy!
    Heard your interview yesterday and beautiful song and voice! I wish you all the luck in the world at the Canberra Folk Festival too.
    Our home is so bare at the moment but still packing - it feels like it has lost its soul already but looking ahead to new horizons and another beautiful place to continue my creative journey but sadly without our beautiful Angoras!
    Best wishes and hugs for the coming event and for tomorrow night also!
    xox Suzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzy, Thanks for stopping by. I haven't done any more craft as we are practising madly for tomorrow's concert and doing publicity has taken heaps of my time. I haven't even finished one doll!!! I've just been cutting out in spare moments. I am trying to fit in more exercise, and swimming while the water is still warm and the weather is lovely.

      That's nice that you heard the interview. I was so nervous waiting for the phone to ring as they were late. Hope it didn't sound dopey, I always cringe afterwards!

      That's so sad about your angoras, I'm sure you will miss them, they are so beautiful. I would love to buy some tresses off you if you have any spare. No rush, just if you still have any. I hope to come and visit some time when things calm down here, and you are organised again.
      I'm sure you will make a beautiful new nest for you and Jeff. Your move must be getting closer - hope all goes well.
      Sending hugs,
      Jesse

      Delete
  6. Dear Jesse, i love love your project! Gorgeous box, so romantic and beautiful, and can't wait to see the dolls finished! Your beach photos are beautiful, such amazing texture in the wood. And how lovely to be able to swim in the ocean still, such a beautiful bay... Hugs and happy autumn to you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wen. Lovely of you to visit my blog. I really appreciate your Simply Neutrals parties.
      Hugs,
      Jesse

      Delete
  7. come to say hallo!
    Pippa
    with
    http://disipi.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your friendly comments. It makes my day to hear from you about my artworks and topics.