Wednesday 21 February 2018

Fairy Garden - Simply Neutrals # 34


Hello friends,

Fairies have dwelt in my garden for quite a few years before they migrated indoors to my craft room where I display them among my found treasures...

Jesse Rowan's fairies

This is a collage of one of the fairies from my garden which I made using Photoshop elements - it's my daughter when she was much younger. Sadly, her fairy stage is well past.
    
Jesse Rowan's fairies

Finding the right wings in a suitable pose or shape can be tricky. Here I added wings and used a photo of a toadstool in our garden for my little fairy to stand on...

Jesse Rowan's fairies

As a child, I was always fascinated by fairytales, and fairies absolutely captured my imagination. My family moved a lot when I was growing up, and I would devour the 'Fairytales, Myths and Legends' section of each new school's library.

One of my favourite books was my (paternal) grandmother's copy of 'The Fairy Book' by Dinah Craik, originally published in 1863. 

Jesse Rowan's fairies


I never knew this grandmother, as she died when my Dad was only about 10 years old. I treasured her book, and read it over and over, hidden in a tree or cubby so nobody could interrupt me. My Dad passed the book on to me. Sadly, the title page is missing. I think my version was published in about 1910. The only illustrations my version had were in black and white - a header and illuminated letter at the start of each fairytale.

Jesse Rowan's fairies

You can read a lovely version of it here, with coloured illustrations by Warwick Goble:

There's another interesting version here:


My fascination with fairytales continues, and I've kept all the fairytale books even after my children have lost interest as I can't bear to part with them.

I became hooked on these little vintage fairies after I bought Dawn Edmonson's  'Fairy in a Jar' tutorial here. I love her vintage child image so much (below) - Thanks Dawn!

Jesse Rowan's fairies


 Here's my workbench with a few fairies in process...


Jesse Rowan's fairies



I use Photoshop Elements to adapt pretty vintage children's clothes to fit some of the fairies.

Jesse Rowan's fairies


Sometimes I add lace, crowns, feathers or flowers.


Jesse Rowan's fairies


A fairy display in my craft room...

Jesse Rowan's fairies


I think this vintage child image below comes from Dawn of The Feathered Nest, but I couldn't be sure. Poor record-keeping on my part, I'm afraid. 

Jesse Rowan's fairies

Here are the two fairies that I think are from Dawn in a candle lantern...


Jesse Rowan's fairies


 Here's the Princess Fairy Baby - she's one of my favourites.


Jesse Rowan's fairies



Here's a close-up:



Jesse Rowan's fairies


The Button Fairy...

Jesse Rowan's fairies

The Book fairy...

Jesse Rowan's fairies


Now for the Gumleaf Fairy Queen...


Jesse Rowan's fairies



Jesse Rowan's fairies


A box of fairies I've made from copies of vintage cabinet cards and butterfly wings I've prepared in Photoshop Elements...


Jesse Rowan's fairies

I'm joining Wen's Simply Neutrals party at her blog, Apple Apricot here





Why don't you pop across to see all the drool-worthy neutral artworks, collectibles and photo art on display? You may like to share some too...


See you soon,

Jesse











18 comments:

  1. Your fairies are truly stunnung, dear Jesse, thank you for sharing them in your so lovely post today!

    Wishing you a most beautiful remainder of your week

    XOXO Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jesse,
    I can see you are in so beautiful company, with aLL the fairies , around you, one more pretty than the other . I love seeing photos from your room, and all of them living there with you. Also your fairy daughter looks so sweet in her butterfly wings , and that treasured old book, a jewel, from your past , Jesse.
    Hugs from Dorthe , xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorthe. Yes, I can't resist making them. My house is filling up with them!
      Have a great week,
      Jesse XX

      Delete
  3. Oh Jesse,

    I adore your little faeries that you've made and how precious to make some with your daughter's photos. They are such magical, sweet creatures. I added a faery book to my birthday wish list. The month isn't over yet so we'll see if I get it. What a lovely treasure to have the special book of your grandmother's. It's so important to pass the dreaming and magic along and keep it alive! Thank you for sharing your beautiful work and your warm and inspiring creativity.

    Have a wonderful week.
    Love, Tamara xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tamara. Nice to see you again!
      Have a happy day doing special things.
      hugs,
      Jesse XX

      Delete
  4. Dear sweet Jesse, what WONDERFUL and simply magical fairy creations!!! I love them all so much. I love how you add crowns, fabric and trims to embellish them as well. Creating fairy themed artwork has always been one of my very favorites! Right after nature and bird themed projects ~ Thank you so very much for mentioning my little tutorial and I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I'll certainly have to join in the Simply Neutrals Party!!! Wishing you a beautiful and creative day! xoxo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog, Dawn. I've admired yours for years! I love bird and nature themes too - I must do something different for a change! Did you get my message I left you on your blog yesterday? Were there any other fairies you recognised as your images? Let me know and I'll mention that.
      Wishing you a creative week...
      Hugs,
      Jesse

      Delete
  5. Absolutely adorable Jesse! Such a lovely post and beautiful little fairies!
    (I too enjoy Dawns Etsy :)
    I enjoyed all your creative vinette's~ Take care <3, karen o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen, glad you dropped by to comment... thank you :)
      I'm glad you enjoyed the fairies.
      love,
      Jesse XX

      Delete
  6. Oh sweetie I LOVE your sweet little fairies!! They are so so beautiful! And the way you displayed them and did the photoshops is so beautiful too. I love fairy tales as well, my grandma used to read them to me when I was a child. Sweet memories :)
    Wishing you a fairy happy day and sending you big hugs and love, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Wen, Thanks for the fairy happy day! LOL! What a nice start to my day. Hope your day is positive and playful too...
      Hugs,
      Jesse XX

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness! Jesse these are all so darling! I love them! each is so unique! thanks so much for sharing your fairies with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy, I'm glad you enjoyed my fairy post :)
      Hugs,
      Jesse XX

      Delete
  8. Such a lovely read dear Jesse! I had no idea to the extent of your fascination with fairies. I love the beautiful display of them in your studio and the Button and Book fairies! You've spent many happy hours creating with them and WOW your grandmother's The Fairy Book certainly is so special - it's beautiful!
    Enjoy your week!
    Love and hugs,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzy. I had no idea how many I had made, either!!! Lovely weather, isn't it? Great rain, then clear and sunny. Enjoy...
      Love,
      Jesse XX

      Delete
  9. OMG Jesse this post is beyond beautiful! I love all your lovely fairies and the digital work with the images of your daughter and that you treasure this wonderful book of your grandmother and your beautiful display in your studio!
    All so unique and charming and beautiful!

    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susi,
      Thank you for your lovely comments. Have a great week.
      Hugs,
      Jesse XX

      Delete

Thank you so much for your friendly comments. It makes my day to hear from you about my artworks and topics.